Here is what was covered in the BSK session of Sunday, October 16, 2011:
Since last to last Sunday's session (the one of October 9th, 2011) was comparatively smaller, we are including the details of both the sessions in this post.
I. Prayer & Yoga : This session involves regular mantra and shloka recitation by everyone, followed by a 30 minute yoga session.
II. Language Class:
- Basic Hindi and Gujarati language sessions
- Another Hindi language session for older kids who can already frame sentences in Hindi
- Last to last Sunday, kids learnt new Hindi words and were asked to write some "Historical facts" / ऐतिहासिक तथ्य and the same was reviewed last Sunday
- After the review of previous week's topic, we had a group discussion (in Hindi) on the new topic : "True Education" / सच्ची शिक्षा
Kids were told a situation related to this topic as:
A "Guru" testing the students of "Gurukul" for whatever education they had gained over a year, by telling them to pass through a forest where a bed of thorns was laid.
While few students crossed the forest by swiftly running over the bed of thorns , few others discovered alternate way to cross the forest, so as to obey the Guru's order .
However, one of the students didn't go until he removed all the thorns out of the way, so that others could pass through safely.
The "Guru" who had already noticed the whole episode (without students' knowledge), declared the last student - who stayed back and removed the thorns as the one eligible to go for further education, while rest others were made to stay in the same grade.
Then we had a discussion on the moral of the story and discussed the meaning of few words like:
Education :- शिक्षा
Thorns :- कांटे
Patience :- धैर्य / धीरज
Obedient :- आज्ञाकारी
Trouble :- कष्ट
Success :- सफलता
- Later on kids were asked to frame Hindi sentences on whatever was discussed
We would check the assignment on coming Sunday and would help the kids correct their sentences, followed by another group discussion.
III. Noon Sandhya Session:
- Meditation for older kids
- Omkaar gunjan for younger kids
IV. Special Topic for younger kids:
- Last to last Sunday (October 9th), we dicussed the significance of following "Mudras" with the kids :
- Pran Mudra / प्राण मुद्रा
- Gyan Mudra / ज्ञान मुद्रा
- Surya Mudra / सूर्य मुद्रा
- Last Sunday (October 16th) , we discussed the importance of "Diwali" and Ramayana with the younger group.
V. Shrimad Bhagavad Geeta (for older kids) : -
In this session, we discussed about the verses 22nd to 47th of Chapter 1 - "Arjun Vishaad Yoga" / अर्जुन विषाद योग , which talks about Arjun's grief at the battlefield due to his attachment to his own relatives.
Next session onwards, we would be starting the discussion on Chapter 2 - "Saankhya Yoga" /सांख्य योग of Shrimad Bhagavad Geeta.